By Alecia Miguel
It’s that time of year! The chocolate comes out and the fat intake goes up! The thing about Valentine’s Day is that we all know (if you’re me) your folks are gonna get you a little stuffed animal with heart paraphernalia and a box of chocolates. And we all know those chocolates are…interesting. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate it Mom and Dad but sometimes I don’t want to play chocolate roulette. A plain old ginormous Kit Kat will do. But what’s the fun in that? Or the health?
This year, why don’t you get together with your loved one(s), enjoy an evening together and make yourselves a delicious treat! I’ve put together a recipe for you guys this month that is delicious, easy (to make in a dorm) and fun to make! I’ve written the recipe to be a healthier treat, however the quantities are more or less guidelines. Feel free to add, subtract or modify to your taste!
Dessert Popcorn for Two
3 cups of unsalted or low-salt popcorn
¼ cup of chocolate chips (any kind you prefer!)
1-2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3 tablespoons of crispy rice
3 tablespoons of dried cranberries
A pinch/dash of coarse sea salt
Any other toppings you prefer (crushed almonds, caramel, etc.)
- Spread the popcorn out in a single layer onto a plate.
- In a microwave-safe container, microwave the chips in 30 seconds increments until they are just about melted.
- Starting with one teaspoon, add the vegetable oil to the container and stir until smooth. If the chocolate is too thick to drizzle, add more oil and stir until smooth.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn.
- Sprinkle the salt, crispy rice, cranberries, and on the popcorn.
- Allow the chocolate to cool, may be refrigerated so that you can stuff your face with deliciousness much quicker.